The breast surgeon FINALLY did something...she called infectious diseases (after the obgyn told her she should). The infectious disease dr. came at 7:30 last night and took a culture and told me she's going to put me on new antibiotics b/c the current ones were clearly not working (duh, thank you!). I felt a glimmer of hope. But at 10 pm, after the nurse gave me one of the new antibiotics, I had an allergic reaction. My skin felt weird and my scalp was really very itchy. My face turned red, and the best way I can describe it is the way my skin feels after a bee sting. The nurse stopped the antibiotics and just stood there and looked at me. I had to ask her to give me benadryl. She told me it's not in the dr.'s orders, so she'd have to call the dr. She called all of them and the breast surgeon is the only one that answered, so she told the nurse to give it to me...thankfully. This morning the infectious disease dr. came back and said that there is definitley bacteria growing on the culture she took. She said it will take another 24 hours for it to get where she needs it to be, but she will definitely have answers. I asked how long she estimates I'll be in here for, and she estimates around 48 hours. I might have to go home still on iv antibiotics, but she said this is a really,
really bad infection so there is just no way of knowing what it is or how long it will take to clear up. But I do feel a little better knowing that progress is being made. The breast surgeon's plan was to just wait wait wait and see if the same old antibiotics would kick in. I think the problem was that she's young, and she's only been doing this for 9 months. I don't think she's been exposed to enough to handle a very severe infection like this. I needed this infectious disease dr. the day I was admitted. So nice that days were just wasted when I could potentially be home right now with my babies. Anyhow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 48 hours is the MOST amount of time I have left here, and I certainly hope nothing else comes up again. I think I've had my fair share of bad luck for a looooooong time.
No comments:
Post a Comment