Sunday, February 20, 2011

34 weeks and a few nursery pictures

I hit the 34 week mark!!!!  I never ever thought I'd make it this far.  I remember pleading with God to just get me to 28 weeks, and here I am...34 weeks and 1 day! The dr.'s just want to get you to 34 weeks, so this is such an accomplishment. I'm feeling much better than I did last week after my hospital visit.  The dr. said that I probably couldn't breath because I was given too much iv fluids in the hospital.  I believe it, because I gained about 7 or 8 lbs after leaving the hospital and lost it all a few days later.  I am also not nearly as swollen.  My stomach muscles are sore, but I'll take a sore belly over not being able to breath any day. 

I broke the rules today and got a mani/pedi.  I drove myself there with the windows down so I could enjoy this weather that everybody keeps talking about.  It was so nice!  I thought the mani/pedi was going to be amazing since I haven't had one in over 4 months, but it wasn't so great.  I was uncomfortable in the chair and they couldn't rub my feet because of the pressure points in the feet that can cause contractions.  Oh well, at least I have pretty nails.  It's been way too long.  I was somewhat enjoying myself until a girl around my age sits down next to me and starts asking me a few questions.  When are you due?  What are you having? etc. She apparently doesn't have any children of her own, but proceeds to tell me how it's going to be and all about a twin pregnancy.  She was wrong about most of it, but when I would try to tell her differently she still insisted she was right.  Total know-it-all.  Gotta love those! 

I also just want to share a little bit of twin pregnancy info.  Most people have one baby at a time, so it's easy to think a twin pregnancy is the same, but it isn't.  So here's a few differences I seem to explain a lot:
*Singletons are typically born between 37-40 weeks.  Twins are typically born between 34-37, a lot are sooner than that, so I am very thankful I made it this far.
* Most twins will visit the NICU when born and will stay for a few days or a few weeks. This is very rare for singletons, so when I mention the NICU to someone who has had one baby I get the, "oh....that's not good."  This makes me feel bad, even though it shouldn't b/c obviously people that say this just don't get the twin thing.  I get the same when I mention the babies will be here before 37 weeks. 
*Our "baby a" has low amniotic fluid.  I have not done anything to cause this to happen so "drink your water" statements are not accurate.  "Baby b" has more than enough fluid and my high risk dr. said that this is "garden variety twin stuff."  The IV fluids in the hospital didn't even fix the problem.
* I won't get into any of the details, but feeding twins is much different than feeding one baby.
*And finally...I did not do IVF, and no, fraternal twins do not run in my family.  Not that it should matter b/c babies are blessings, no matter how you get them.  And just to get this piece of information out there, people with twins do not like those questions. :) I admittedly did not understand this prior to being pregnant with twins.  Oh, but I get it now! There are plenty of people that have one baby and had IVF, but aren't asked if they had the procedure done!  It is just considered a rude and personal question in the twin community, and a conversation people with twins do not like to have (over and over and over again).

Now, onto the pictures.  One terrible picture of 34 weeks, and two pictures of the almost complete nursery...
Yes, I know...it's bad and I look terrible. 

Almost done!  6 prints will be going over the cribs, but they are being framed and won't be ready until the 7th, and a mirror is going over the dresser.  And to me, the nursery is so much prettier in person.

I'm wondering (and hoping) if this will be my last weekly blog of an updated picture of my enormous body.  I love my babies, but I don't love the unbelievable 50 lbs that has come with them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment